Cyfanfyd was awarded a contract by the Welsh Assembly Government’s ESDGC Panel in 2009 to produce a Toolkit for Youth Workers on how to engage young people in Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship (ESDGC).
The information and documents below should be considered draft versions until a time when the Welsh Assembly Government release a final bilingual version.
Lite Bite Activities
These 7 ‘Lite Bite’ activities are easy starting points to introduce education for sustainable development and global citizenship (sometimes just called ‘ESDGC’, or global youth work) into your work. The activities are suitable for a range of youth work settings and for different ages of young people. They require minimum preparation time and resources. You don’t need to know anything about sustainable development or global citizenship to try these activities.
- ‘Fair Play’ – sport, and games lite bite activity
- ‘Share the Wealth’ – money lite bite activity
- ‘The Long Journey’ – food lite bite activity
- ‘The World in a Song’ – music lite bite activity
- ‘It’s Important to Me’ – friends and family lite bite activity
- ‘Media Image’ – fashion and body image lite bite activity
- ‘From Coca Leaves to Chocolate Bars’ – drugs and alcohol lite bite activity
Case Studies of ESDGC in Youth Work Practice
This section contains a selection of case studies of ESDGC in youth work from throughout Wales. We hope they will provide ideas and inspiration for the development of projects / activities that will deliver effective ESDGC with young people.
- Partners in Progress – international volunteers supporting ESDGC
- Debate to Action – youth empowerment programme themed on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
- Down to Earth Project – practical approaches to ESDGC, through use of the outdoors
- This is Not a Suitcase – ESDGC with young people who are homeless or in residential care
- Strangers Theatre Project
- Linking Wales and Somaliland – through sports education
- Training Part-Time Youth Workers in ESDGC
- Gilwern International House
- Young Advocates at the Beijing Paralympics
- Embedding ESDGC in Bridgend Youth Service
- HIV Peer Education
- Young People Taking a Lead on Sustainable Development
- Platform 2 – international volunteering in the community
- Engaging people with a Learning Disability – in the Millennium Development Goals
- Global Xchange – development of active global citizens
- Step by Step – global volunteering project
- How to Measure Young People’s Progression in Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship (ESDGC)
There are many resources available to support ESDGC in youth work. This section gives a selection of resources that could be used for delivering ESDGC in different youth work settings. There are many great resources out there that we have not been able to include, and if a resource is not included it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it!
- General Activity Packs / Training Manuals
- Esdgc Themed Activities, Games and Resources
- Homemade / Generic Resources
- On-Line Resources / Websites
- Reference Books / Background Reading
- Supporting Organisations and Useful Contacts
- ESDGC Resource Checklist
The Toolkit was funded by the Welsh Assembly Government’s ESDGC Panel in 2009. It was written by Sophie Cooper from Cyfanfyd, Sam Powell and Veronica Wilson. We had invaluable advice and contributions from the Toolkit Advisory Group which was made up of a range of youth work practitioners from throughout Wales. The documents contained herein should be considered draft versions until a time when the Welsh Assembly Government release a final bilingual version. Any feedback / comments would be gratefully received – firstname.lastname@example.org